Permanent Exhibition

Treasury
Classics of Estonian Art from the Beginning of the 18th Century until the End of the Second World War.
3rd floor, A-wing
The rooms of permanent exhibition are filled with the early classics of Estonian art from the 18th century until the end of the Second World War. As the exhibition moves from one topic to another – from a work of an anonymous Baltic-German portrait artist to Johann Köler, Kristjan Raud and Konrad Mägi, and on to the Group of Estonian Artists, Pallas School – a visitor can also detect cultural processes characteristic to Western Europe. The exhibition tracks down changes in the Estonian mentality as well as in art styles. It consists of both masterpieces that already have established a place in the collective memory of Estonians and works that have until now been waiting in the depositories to be displayed.

Conflicts and Adaptations. Estonian Art of the Soviet Era (1940–1991)
Estonian Art from the End of the Second World War Until Re-Independence.
4th floor, A-wing
The new permanent exposition focusses on the complicated relationship between art and its environment, and presents the various countenances of the era and the altering roles of art, which include depicting the surrounding reality, taking a stand against it, and creating alternative realities.